As a prospective employee going for an interview, the first thing I did was to go to Bourne Steel’s website and to be honest the website did not inspire confidence. It was a 6 page website with news that was two years out of date and only a few projects. I was amazed when I joined Bourne Steel to find all of the achievements Bourne Steel had made, so I took it on myself to show what I could do for the company by presenting my Refurbishment Presentation DVD and then to put myself forward on how Bourne Steel should promote themselves on the internet.
The company needed a new website that not only improved their corporate image by its presentation, but was kept up to date. Due the size of the project it was recognised that the website would be would span 6 month period and went through the normal stages of approval.
- The website would include flash images using the best of their existing photographs
- It would comply with W3C standard
- I would be responsible for making sure updated.
- It was to be built in HTML, with Flash content.
- Meetings where possible were to be kept out of normal working hours.
The company did not have sufficient documentation on their achievements which meant that the gathering of this data would be a labour intensive task involving attending successive meetings with, various project and site managers to gather facts and locations of any photographs.
- Time taken to gather this data was hampered by needing to work around their busy schedules and the need for this project not to interfere with the running of IT at Bourne Steel.
- No budget was set for a professional photographer
- A percentage of photographs were pre digital
All documentation and photographs gathered was verified firstly by their marketing manager and then by the chairman David Sands before content was transferred to the website.
Review & Reporting
David Sands took on the role of Project Executive signing off work done and exploring cost implication of any changes he wished to be made.
The initial 20 page website was done within one month of initiation of the project. Within the next five months their website had grown to over 50 pages, highlighting key construction projects in the eleven market sectors. After that it was agreed that 20 hours a month was used to keep the website updated and to refresh content to include new projects.
The Business Benefit
The new website helped to improve relationships with clients, as it focused on the not only on the success of past projects, but ongoing ones too. With client confidence raised, Bourne Steel was able to gain lucrative contracts.
The data gathered for the website was further used to become the data resource for the marketing and sales teams.
As the business grew, I put forward a proposal to reduced maintenance costs by migrating the website from a HTML website to a PHP website with dynamic content. This was approved and as I was put in charge of the larger project of creating a new website for Bourne Group Holdings.