Outline Business Case
The outline Business case contains reasons why the project is needed and forms part of the Project Brief. It supports two of the Prince2 Principles, the Focus on Products and the Continued Business Justification.
The Prince2 recommendation for this outline of the business case is as follows
- The Project Executive drafts the outline business case based on what is currently known about the project
- Understand the objectives and reasons that are defined in the Project Mandate.
- Capture the customer’s quality expectations
- Capture and agree the project’s acceptance criteria (this will
- Check feasibility of the timescale requirements from the Project Mandate or as required by the outline Business Case
- Review the risks captured in the Daily Log affecting viability of the project in the outline Business Case and determine if there are any new risks.
- Understand how the project will contribute toward the corporate and/or programme objectives.
- Understand how the project will be funded
- Review the lesson’s learned log for lessons related to the business justification
- Check for any standards mandated for the format and presentation of the Business Case (templates, cost metrics etc)
- Assemble andy relevant background info, e.g. contracts, feasibility reports, service level agreements etc
- If necessary seek approaval for the Outline Business Case, from corporate of programme management
In short the outline Business Case is produced by the Executive and it is reviewed by the Senior User, Senior Supplier, Project Manager and Project Assurance. It is then approved by the Corporate.